higher education estates magazine
Total Audience Coverage
Our T.A.C packages offer maximum coverage with
stand-alone e-mail broadcasts, monthly bulletins and web site promotions.
education building forum
higher education estates forum
leisure design & build is the premier title for specifiers, architects and operators active in the ever-growing leisure build sector. ldb is the only magazine to link the construction and the leisure industries, it encompasses developments across both the private and public sectors to give a truly holistic view of the way the industry is performing and developing.
News - September/October 2017
The UK’s best new school buildings
Independent schools were well represented amongst the winners of the Royal Institute of British Architects’ prestigious National Awards for architecture, which recognises innovative and exceptional design, but there were none from the state sector.
RIBA President Jane Duncan said: “Congratulations to the clients and their design teams for the extraordinary talent, ambition and enthusiasm that has led to this year’s roll-call of phenomenal buildings.
“I am pleased to award a selection of high-quality new school buildings such as The Laboratory, Dulwich College and new music facilities at Wells Cathedral School, that will benefit generations of children and teachers.
“However, after a few boom years, which saw a clutch of award winning, cost effective state school buildings, it’s disappointing that there are none on this year’s list. Well-designed schools support improved student achievement, and staff and student wellbeing and should be part of educational aspirations for all our schools, not just those in the fee-paying sector.”
The schools that were among the 49 national award winners are:
- The Laboratory, Dulwich College, designed by Grimshaw, for its new science laboratory.
- King’s College School, Wimbledon for its new accommodation building, designed by Allies and Morrison.
- Chetham’s School of Music (Stoller Hall), designed by architects Stephenson Studio, is the concluding element of the school’s new academy building.
- Bedales School’s Art and Design Building, for a new art and design building designed by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios.
- Wells Cathedral School, for Cedars Hall, its new music facilities designed by Eric Parry.